MEDIA RELEASE. 19TH August 2012
Regional Queensland will demonstrate a range of approaches to child protection with events throughout the state during Child Protection Week 2-8 September.
Queensland Child Protection Week Committee Chair, Kelly Bucknall, said the committee supported regional events which helped prevent abuse and neglect of children and young people.
“The theme of Child Protection Week 2012 is ‘Protecting Children is Everybody’s business – play your part’. These regional activities will demonstrate how everyone in the community can help keep children and young people safe,” Ms Bucknall said.
In 2012, the Child Protection Week Committee is supporting the following regional events:
- On the Gold Coast Act for Kids is running several events including parent information session in Kirra, a Teddy Bear Picnic at Evandale Park and a community fun day at Coomera. Contact Miranda Bain [email protected] 0755 375 040.
- The Logan Police Citizens Youth Club (PCYC) will hold education sessions in four Logan schools. Contact Naomi Lockhart at [email protected] 07 3826 1903.
- Safer Kids Toowoomba is staging events around the city including information stalls, children’s activities and interactive learning activities. Contact Matt Gregg at [email protected] 0741 2056 405
- In Mackay, the George Street Neighbourhood Centre is holding a Play Your Part Pyjama Party and barbeque with entertainment. Contact Jennifer Parker at [email protected] 0749 577 222
- There is something for everyone in Bundaberg where Edon Place Women’s Domestic Violence Service is participating in Child Protection week with a community breakfast, training programs, displays, a colouring completion, golf day, a family movie day, and Rainbow Day. Contact Lyn Booth at [email protected] 0741 536 820
- The South Burnett CTC in Kingaroy will mark Child Protection Week with two school breakfast barbeques and a gala dinner. Contact Susan Jerome at [email protected] 0741 690 587.
The Child Protection Week Queensland Committee acknowledges the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services for supporting Child Protection Week 2012.
- Phone: 0432 173 016
Caitlin King, Child Protection Week Project Officer
- Phone: (07) 3844 6414 or 0418 408 062
- Email: [email protected]